School Logo


Redby Academy SEN Information Report 2020-2021


Welcome to our SEN information report, which aims to inform you of the provision available at Redby Academy.  At Redby Academy, we believe that all children are individuals and we aim to provide an inclusive education for all pupils.  We embrace the fact that every child is different and therefore the educational needs of all children are different.

With regards to the Special Education Needs Code of Practise, there are four broad areas of need.  These are: Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties and Sensory and Physical Needs.

If you have any concerns regarding your child’s progress or well-being in relation to Special Educational Needs, then please contact your child’s class teacher or Mrs Rachael Simpson (School SENCO) to discuss your concerns.


1. Does the school know if children need extra help?  What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?



At different times during their school life, a child may have a special educational need.  This may be short or long term.  The Code of Practise 2014 defines SEND as follows:

“A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or a disability which calls for special education provision to be made for him or her.  A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty if he or she:

  1. has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others the same age, or
  2. has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.”

At Redby Academy, academic progress is continuously assessed.  Any child identified as having a specific area of difficulty are supported in school.  Where a pupil’s progress falls significantly below age related expectations, despite support and good quality teaching, provision of SEN support may be made. At times, a special need may not be academic.  Where this is the case, the school staff will liaise with parents to discuss the needs of the child and the support that can be provided within school as well as in the home environment. 

If you believe your child has a special educational need or you have any other concerns, please contact your child’s class teacher.


2. How will the school support my child?



At Redby Academy, we work hard to provide for the needs of all children.  Different members of our school team have specific responsibilities relating the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.

The Class Teacher

  • Planning and delivering a differentiated curriculum which encompasses the needs of all children in their class, including any children identified as having SEN.
  • Monitoring the progress of your child and identifying and delivering any additional help your child may need (targeted work or additional support).
  • Informing the SENCO if necessary of any concerns they may have relating to the needs of children within their class.
  • Writing support plans for children with SEN with input from parents at meetings to be held at least termly, in order to review targets and support in order to prepare for the following term.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEN policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with SEN.

The SENCO (Mrs Rachael Simpson)

  • To provide professional guidance to colleagues and to liaise with staff, parents and other agencies.
  • Write an annual SEN Information Report to be published on the setting website
  • To oversee day to day operation of the school’s SEN policy, including regular monitoring of classroom practise, data and support plans
  • Co-ordinate provision for children with SEN
  • Advising on a graduated response to provide SEN Support
  • Advising on the deployment of the school’s delegated budget and other resources to meet pupils’ needs effectively
  • Liaising with parents of pupils with SEN
  • Liaising with other educational settings, Educational Psychologist, Health and Social Care Professionals, Autism Outreach, Speech and Language, Language and Learning and Behaviour Support Team
  • Managing the transition process of children with SEN
  • Ensuring school records for SEN are kept up to date
  • Work with the Head Teacher and School Governors with regards to SEN

The Head Teacher (Miss Melanie Wight)

  • The day-to day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEN.
  • The Head Teacher will give responsibility to the SENCO and Class Teacher, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Head Teacher will ensure that the Governing Body is kept up to date with issues relating to SEN.
  • Regular reviews of staffing across the school to ensure, that provision and adult support is in place in the areas of greatest need.

The SEN Governors

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEN who attends the school.
  • To support and challenge the Head Teacher and SENCO with regards to SEN within the school.


3. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s need?



When a child is identified as having SEN need, Redby Academy will work with parents in order to support the child to access the mainstream curriculum.  Children with SEN often require ‘additional’ or ‘different’ provision from other children within their year groups in order to overcome their barriers to learning.  Usually a support plan will be written by the class teacher in consultation with parents and the SENCO in order to provide for specific needs.  At Redby Academy, we engage in a four-stage process to ensure any provision is relevant to the child.

  • Assess
  • Plan
  • Do
  • Review

This cycle is completed over a termly basis at least (some children will move through the cycle more quickly, especially when there is variable or changing needs).

  • Assess

This stage involves taking into consideration all the information from discussions with parents, the child, the class teacher and any relevant assessments.

  • Plan

This stage identifies the barriers for learning, intended outcomes, and details what additional support will be provided to help overcome the barriers. Decisions will be recorded on a SEN Support plan and will form the basis for review meetings.

  • Do

This is implementing the support plan and providing the support.  This may be targeted support, small group work or additional provision.

  • Review

This is to measure the impact of the support provided and consider whether changes to that support need to be made.  People involved with the children contribute to this review (child, parents, teacher, SENCO and in some cases outside agencies).  This then informs the next cycle of provision.


4. How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will school help me to support my child’s learning?




Your child’s progress will be continually monitored in school by his/her class teacher.

  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every half term in reading, writing, grammar and maths.
  • At the end of Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2, children are required to take part in National SATs.
  • If your child in in Year One or above a more sensitive assessment tool may be used to assess progress in a range of areas including interaction and behaviour, if it is felt to be necessary.
  • Children may have a school support plan which contains targets which will be reviewed at least termly and a future plan made as a result.
  • The progress of a child with an Education Health Care Plan will be reviewed at an annual review, with all adults involved in that child’ education.
  • The SENCO will conduct monitoring activity throughout the year, to ensure appropriate support is in place for the children who may have SEN across the school.
  • The Head Teacher and SENCO will monitor progress made by SEN children in their class work and evaluate the impact of any intervention that has taken place.

Parent’s will be kept informed at regular meetings throughout the school year as input from you is valued and a key component of us supporting your child.  In addition to regular meetings, we encourage an ‘open door’ approach, with teachers available at the end of the school day.  Alternatively, the school office can be reached on 0191 548 4040 in order to make an appointment with your child’s class teacher or the school SENCO.  Each child also has a school diary, where parents and teachers can correspond with each other on a daily basis. 

N.B. Due to Covid-19, face-to-face meetings are not possible.  Therefore, meetings may be conducted over the phone or through applications such as Teams or Google Meet.  Parents can contact class teachers directly via the use of the year group emails.


5. What Emotional and Social Development support do we have for children with SEN in order to ensure a child’s overall well-being?



At Redby Academy, we recognise that pupils with SEN may well have additional Emotional and Social Development Needs, which will require support in school.

  • The Emotional Health and Wellbeing of all our pupils is very important to us and all staff are committed to ensuring children who attend our school are happy and developing well.
  • We have a robust Safeguarding Policy in place; we follow National and Local Authority guidelines.
  • The Head Teacher, Deputy Head and all staff continually monitor the Emotional Health and the Wellbeing of all our pupils, including those with SEN.
  • We are an Anti-bullying school.
  • We have a School Councillor who works with children on a regular basis.

6. What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?

We have a Nurture Room available over lunchtime as well as timetabled for specific children.



There is a range of different types of support that children may access within the school setting.  The following are some that may be accessed if appropriate for your child.  Teachers and the SENCO will use the new Sunderland Together for Children Ranges Document to ascertain which SEND Range the child falls within and this enables staff to help structure specific and appropriate support for children with SEND. 

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching)

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built upon what your child already knows, can do and understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class.  This may also involve things such as planning a more practical curriculum, including sensory and visual approaches to learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or by an outside agency) may be used to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • Specific group work tailored to the needs of the child.
  • They may access intervention.  This may take place in the classroom or outside e.g. before the school day begins or at lunchtime.  This could be delivered by the teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).
  • Implementation of a support plan which will detail targets and support made available in order for the child to reach those targets.


Specialist Groups/Outside Agencies

At times, the SENCO or Class Teacher may identify your child as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.  In this case, you would be asked for your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional.  Advice is provided to the school by these agencies as to how to support the child.  As parents, you would be informed of any findings or advice, whether from the school or directly from the professional.

Some of the agencies which we consult with at Redby include the following:

  • Autism Outreach Team
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Speech and Language Therapy (SALT)
  • Sensory Service (for children with hearing or visual needs)
  • CAMHS (Child and Adult Mental Health Service)
  • Behaviour Support Services
  • School Nurses

Specified Individual Support - EHCPs

This type of support may be made available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.  This is usually provided via an Education Health Care Plan (ECHP).  This means professionals (for example, paediatricians and educational psychologists) will have identified your child as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching. This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups upon application to the SEND Unit within the LA.  The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs.  This is a legal process which sets out the amount and type of support that will be provided for your child.  The process is outlined briefly below:

  • After a period of school based support and advice obtained and followed from outside agencies, a school may decide to make a referral for an EHCP assessment.  This decision will be made during a multiagency meeting with those involved with the child.
  • The referral is then submitted to the SEND Unit within the LA, along with a great deal of information about your child.
  • The information received is then considered and discussed by a ‘Panel of Professionals’.  They will then decide whether they think your child’s needs seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment.  If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs.  If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the ‘Panel of Professionals’ will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong.  If this is the case they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP).  If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible,.
  • The EHCP will outline the number hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place.  It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or small groups including your child.


7. How are the staff in school helped to work with children with SEN and what training do they have?


  • A key part of the SENCO’s role in school is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.
  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEN.  This includes whole school training on SEN issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Speech and Language Difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses offered by outside agencies that are relevant to the specific needs of children in their care.
  • The Extended Management Team, including the SENCO, access training relevant to SEN which is then shared with the whole school teaching team.
  • Liaison with outside agencies ensure staff are equipped with specialised strategies to support the individual needs of children.
  • The SENCO attends termly updates with the Local Authority to ensure school policy and approaches to SEN are up to date and in line with Government Policy.


8. How is extra support allocated to children?




The school budget, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

  • The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEN in the school, including:
  • Children receiving extra support already
  • Children requiring extra support
  • Children who have identified as not making as much progress as would be expected and decide what resources/training and support is needed.
  • Child’s view will be sought informal and for review meetings, however this may not always be possible with very young children or children with delayed development.
  • The school will then identify the needs of their pupils on a school provision map which for SEN pupils identifies all resources/training and support.  This is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.


9. How is Redby Academy accessible to children with SEND?


  • The building is accessible to all children as we are single storey.
  • The school is fully compliant with DDA regulations.
  • The school has disabled toilets.
  • We ensure, wherever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

10. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

Extra-curricular activities are accessible to all children including those with SEND.



At Redby Academy, we believe all learners are entitled to have the same access to extra-curricular activities.  This includes the opportunity to take part in school trips and visits.  We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to ensure participation for all.  Any additional support or necessary adjustments are recorded on the risk assessment for that activity.  If you have any concerns contact your child’s class teacher.


11. How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new setting or for the next stage of education?



We recognise that transitions can be difficult for children who have SEN and as a school we will take steps to ensure that children are prepared and that any transition is as smooth as possible.

New pupils to Redby Academy

  • Prior to attending Nursery, nursery staff meet the parents through an induction day and the children have the opportunity to visit the setting on a open day
  • Concerns about particular needs will be brought to the attention of the SENCO.  Where necessary, the SENCO will arrange a meeting with parents, previous setting, health visitor etc.
  • Class teachers of children joining from another school will receive information from the previous school.  If required the SENCO will telephone the previous school to discuss individual pupil’s needs.

Child moving to another school

  • We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving classes

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in some cases a planning meeting will take place with yourself, the new teacher and the SENCO.
  • Support plans will be updated at the end of the year and shared with the new class teacher.
  • Children will have a booklet to take with them to their new teacher, which will share the pupils view of their interests and the sort of help they like to receive.
  • Children with a diagnosis of ASD will have a Personal Passport which is regularly updated and passed onto the next class teacher.
  • Some children will also have a transition booklet, which will detail and help prepare them for the future changes of environment and staff.
  • All children benefit from a transition day, where they visit their new classroom and meet their new teacher.

In year 6

  • Year 6 staff meet with transition staff from the secondary school to share information about the children.
  • The SENCO will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of the secondary school and exchange relevant documentation.
  • Your child will complete focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.


12. How are parents involved in the school?  How can I be involved?




At Redby, we are keen to work in partnership with all parents.  In the case of children with SEN, the aspirations you have for your child and your support is essential to enable your child to make their best possible progress. 

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • The SENCO is available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.  She can be contacted via the school office.
  • All information from outside professionals will be shared with you.  This may be through discussions with school staff, in writing and sometimes with the person involved directly.
  • Support plans will be reviewed and planned with your involvement.
  • Homework may be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful to you and your child.


13. Who can I contact for further information?



At Redby Academy, we operate an open door policy.  For enquiries, concerns or questions about your child or SEN, several people can be contacted.

  • Class Teacher
  • School SENCO – Mrs Rachael Simpson (
  • Head Teacher – Miss Melanie Wight

School Office Telephone Number: 0191 548 4040


This report details our annual offer to learners with SEN.  It is updated regularly.  If you have any comments, please contact Mrs Simpson (SENCO).